[vlc-devel] Can anyone tell me why this patch was done?

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 01:29:35 CEST 2009

On Aug 19, 2009, at 11:44 PM, Niles Bindel wrote:

> > I am wondering if this kind of feature is relevant in the video
> plugin. Could this be simplified by implementing this kind of
> feature in > javascript?
>
> Yes, this can be implemented in javascript which is what I did
> initially.  However, this frequently resulted in sound distortions
> (echoing) in the subsequent playlist item.

This is weird and unexpected. This is a vlc bug.

> Also, when in fullscreen mode, the transition between the two items
> was not seemless as it would display the browser window briefly in
> between items.  Converting everything over to using the original
> internal playlist resolved all of these issues for me.

This is has to be a plugin issue. I am not familiar on how fullscreen
is handled in the plugin, but this probably a bug that has to be fixed
there.

> Are you sure that test waits until playback reaches the end of a
> file? The deadlock I encountered only happened upon reaching the end
> of a file.  I looked at the test code and I'm not sure its testing
> for that.  Though I'm not familiar with the length of the media file
> being played.

Yes, this was tested by the current test. I have also added a new test
that specifically test to see if items are correctly played in the
right order.

Pierre.