[vlc-devel] commit: configure: Treat unused param or value as error when building with --enable-debug. ( Pierre d'Herbemont )

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:32:21 CEST 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 18:36:12 +0200
Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> > Very very bad idea. Some configure checks generate warning
> > internally. I
> > haven't tested but I suspect you have just destroyed to the build
> > system.

You broke MMX, SSE, 3Dnow checks for me (ubuntu karmic x86_64) at
least, because there might well be other checks (includes, 3rd party
libraries) failing as well.

In order to be sure you didn't break other, you should enable all
features on each platform we support and manually browse config.log or
configure output.

You could just add -Werror flags to the various *CFLAGS variables which
would be used by automake, so all autoconf tests would work again.

> I usually test before pushing. Build bot are OK.
>
> The autotools needs to fix their tests.

A warning is a warning is a warning, and you can decide to ignore them
because human can often do better checking than gcc.

There is no point on forbiding autoconf C code to generate warnings.

While I can understand the point of lowering the number of warnings
currently present in vlc, I suggested yesterday on IRC another method:

- If you want to check current code generating warnings in VLC, then
  enable Werror in your local copy (CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure should be
  enough)

- If you want to check code submitted to VLC prior to committing, use
  make (target) >/dev/null (which I & j-b at least do, and I expect
  others)

- If you do want to suppress numerous warnings (like unused variables)
  in this process, use -Wno-unused-variable, all gcc -W flags have a
  -Wno- equivalent to remove the warning)

--
Rafaël Carré