[vlc-devel] Plug-in VLC

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Wed Aug 26 19:09:54 CEST 2009

2009/8/26 Philip Nordenfelt <philip at nordenfelt.org>:
> I didn't know about this, thanks. Would I write ./vlc to run it from the
> buildtree? I'm using ubuntu.

correct

> Can the modules be "installed" on top of VLC or do we have to either commit
> to source or distribute our own VLC "version" with the module in?

You can develop, compile and install/distribute modules on their own.
See http://wiki.videolan.org/OutOfTreeCompile

You'll need libvlccore-dev installed for the compile part and to make
sure that the people you distribute the module to have a libvlccore
with the same soname as your libvlccore

> And
> really, in VLC terminology, what is the difference between a plug-in and a
> module?

In the old days, a module could either be a built-in or a plug-in.
Nowdays all the modules are plug-in i.e. .so dynamically loaded.

--
Xtophe