[vlc-devel] VLC worked in 64bits native binary format on Vista x64

xxcv xxcv07 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 11:15:01 CEST 2009

Hi,
> Good to hear. Did you do any performance comparisons between 32 and 64 bit builds? And how big is the size difference between 32 and 64 bit binaries (like libavcodec_plugin.dll and libvlc.dll)?

It can not be measured as of yet because of a unknown bug which prevents
any optimization.
I definitely noticed that it seems to run a lot quicker while I was
testing some samples.
.mlp audio file for one can't be playback I don't know why it seems to
enter some sort of endless loop, massive PTS out of range dropping buffers.
And Jpeg picture is displayed distorted its like the picture with old
VCR with broken tape it used libavcodec motion jpeg codec.
Size is too big to count.. I didn't notice that until now.
Also noticed when 32bit version of vlc with a GUI was previously run it
will create the media library xml file if the entire preferences folder
wasn't deleted before 64bits vlc (without any GUI) is run it will crash
on start up when just after it probes the ML playlist file.
Also ffmpeg-mt also works nicely in 64-bits!

On debug build the file sizes are:
12397527 Aug 29 10:23 libvlc.dll
61840022 Aug 29 10:23 libvlccore.dll
61378491 Aug 29 10:25 plugins/libavcodec_plugin.dll
85326427 Aug 29 10:24 plugins/libavformat_plugin.dll

Ref:
  libavutil     50. 3. 0 / 50. 3. 0
  libavcodec    52.33. 0 / 52.33. 0
  libavformat   52.38. 0 / 52.38. 0
  libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
  libavfilter    0. 5. 0 /  0. 5. 0
  libswscale     0. 7. 1 /  0. 7. 1
  libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
  built on Aug 27 2009 14:30:26, gcc: 4.4.1
Input #0, mlp, from 'samples/God Save The Queen.mlp':
  Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0.0: Audio: mlp, 96000 Hz, 6 channels, s32
SDL_OpenAudio: DirectSound CreateSoundBuffer: Invalid parameter
samples/God Save The Queen.mlp: could not open codecs

Regards.