[vlc-devel] commit: SDP: don't disallow RTCP RR (Pierre Ynard )

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Dec 7 19:53:45 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 08:11:14PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Le lundi 7 décembre 2009 20:00:10 git version control, vous avez écrit :
> > vlc | branch: master | Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> | Mon Dec  7
> >  18:51:29 2009 +0100| [b377e1af8d5a0df8e9969655a2024b251724c83c] |
> >  committer: Pierre Ynard
> >
> > SDP: don't disallow RTCP RR
> >
> > It does more harm than good, since some clients (RealPlayer) will
> > just throw out a "not enough bandwidth" error and fail to open the
> > stream.
>
> I am quite sure I already mentioned it, but the VLC Git repository is not the
> right place to fix bugs of crappy vendor bugs.
>
> This will cause CORRECT implementations of RTP to wrongly send RTCP-RR, thus
> wasting bandwidth, and clogging up socket buffers on the server.

I think the correct thing to do for CRAPPY vendor, like those ***** from
RealNetwork is to provide an option to go around it, and if you can
auto-detect. If you cannot, refrain from breaking normal clever people
who do their job correctly (hint: not RealNetwork people).

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/