[vlc-devel] commit: SDP: don't disallow RTCP RR (Pierre Ynard )

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Tue Dec 8 01:07:49 CET 2009

> I think the correct thing to do for CRAPPY vendor, like those *****
> from RealNetwork is to provide an option to go around it, and if you
> can auto-detect.

I did think about that. The problem is that the same logic is used to
generate SDP exported through different protocols (some of which can't
detect and adapt to the client) and to several clients (some of which
are broken while others are not). Assuming that RealPlayer only does
RTSP (does it? I don't know), it could be possible to detect it in the
RTSP stack, and pass a parameter all the way down to the core (is it
okay to change the prototype of sdp_AddMedia() ? API change etc). But I
already figure myself getting told that I'm crapping up the code with
ugly hacks for broken software that nobody cares about. So I thought
that maybe the best, cleanest option was to just drop that parameter,
because it wasn't such a big deal. Especially after reading the commit
that introduced it, whose message wanted to be jokingly light-hearted.

> If you cannot, refrain from breaking normal clever people who do their
> job correctly (hint: not RealNetwork people).

VLC client support doesn't even honor this parameter. So I'm unable to
name any hypothetical player that would benefit from this parameter.
However, I /am/ able to name one that doesn't. But agreed, my lack of
knowledge of players that do it right is no excuse.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."