[vlc-devel] Help needed

Vincenzo Giarratana vincenzo.giarratana at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 15:58:04 CET 2009

Hello
I'm developing a windows based media application. I want to use VLC in my
media application, but I am not sure what is the best approach, for example
to get and modify VLC source code or to use command line interface and use
modules chained. Let me explain the functionalities I am going to develop.
I want to build an RTSP receiver that is able to receive a stream. Then this
receiver pass the stream to a demux that will demultiplex and simultaneously
will decrypt  the stream. Then the elementary streams (audio and video
streams) will be decoded and displayed. All of these functionality, but the
decryption, are already available in the VLC media player. So I need to add
to the VLC demux the decryption module.
Now the problem is to identify how I can get this, do I need to get and
modify the VLC source code? Or it is better to use the command line
interface and use the VLC modules? Or do you suggest some other less
expensive approach to design the above described media application? In the
latter case I need to identify what module can be exploited and access to
the module documentation. Please your advises and your documentation are
wellcome.
Waiting for your kind reply
 Thanks
Vincenzo Giarratana