[vlc-devel] Help needed

Vincenzo Giarratana vincenzo.giarratana at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:12:10 CET 2009

I try to clarify my goal.
I assume there is an RTSP sender somewhere on the network that is able to
send a file which may contain multiple media streams (both audio/video and
metadata, i.e. encryption keys) to the player. VLC player should receive a
stream, this may be a single A/V file that has to be demultiplexed, if
needed. While demuxing a decryption filter will decrypt the stream and then
then audio and video streams will be decoded and displayed.

About your question I don't know yet what is the best approach to achieve a
complete RTSP "transaction", e.g., the viewing of a movie. I mean it is not
clear to me what benefit derive from separate RTSP track for the audio track
and the video track as opposite to receive every elementary stream on the
same RTSP track. Please adivise me.

Please remember the problem is to identify how I can get this, do I need to
get and modify the VLC source code? Or it is better to use the command line
interface and use the VLC modules? Or do you suggest some other less
expensive approach to design the above described media application? In the
latter case I need to identify what module can be exploited and access to
the module documentation. Please your advises and your documentation are
wellcome.
Waiting for your kind reply
 Thanks
Vincenzo Giarratana