[vlc-devel] [vlc] Christmas Icon

Keith Kyzivat kamaji at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 17:51:21 CET 2009

Disclaimer: I am not a member of the VLC development team.

Your request is sort of like demanding that an acquaintance of yours
whom always makes delicious cake for a recurrent party with a symbol
you find offensive, and demanding that they omit it.

* They publish the recipe, so you could indeed make it for yourself,
and omit whatever you wish, though you would need to be slightly
familiar with baking to do it.
* They aren't charging even a cent for it (though that should not matter)
* There are plenty of other cakes you can choose from

On the internet, as is in some places around the world, it is
generally accepted that people have freedom of speech - to express
their thoughts and opinions.  What you are demanding is for the VLC
team to suppress their thoughts and opinions. That is wholly
unacceptable. They are not hurting anyone, and I do not see how it
could be considered hate speech in any sort of way.

Sure, one could contact the ISP and ask them to put pressure on the
team or shut down the VLC website, however, I highly doubt an ISP
would do such over these matters.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of VLC users that are not
christian that find the Christmas holiday a fine occasion to
celebrate.

If you don't want to see the symbol, you could do a variety of things:
* Check out the vlc sources, disable or change the Easter egg code,
and build it yourself.
* Stop using vlc.
* Change the date on your computer.

~Keith

The VLC team may be looking for help, but I imagine they would
appreciate like-minded help, and the product they put out shapes the
people that come to help, Santa hat icon and all.