[vlc-devel] Updating a track description in the codec

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 1 13:13:34 CET 2009

Hi,

I want to change the description of a track in a codec's
initialization code (turning category tag strings into user
readable translatable strings).

However, the descriptions (as displayed in the VLC menus)
are generated (EsOutESVarUpdateGeneric) before the
codec plugin is used.

I could instead move that tag matching in the demuxer
plugin, but it means I would have to duplicate that in each
demuxer that can carry Kate tracks (eg, Matroska), and I
would like to avoid that if possible.

In the codec open, I can modify p_dec->fmt_out.psz_description,
and I would need a way to tell VLC to update its descriptions
then (eg, call EsOutESVarUpdateGeneric). Is there a clean
way to do this ?

Thanks