[vlc-devel] Updating a track description in the codec

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Sun Feb 1 13:37:53 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009, ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to change the description of a track in a codec's
> initialization code (turning category tag strings into user
> readable translatable strings).
>
> However, the descriptions (as displayed in the VLC menus)
> are generated (EsOutESVarUpdateGeneric) before the
> codec plugin is used.
>
> I could instead move that tag matching in the demuxer
> plugin, but it means I would have to duplicate that in each
> demuxer that can carry Kate tracks (eg, Matroska), and I
> would like to avoid that if possible.
>
> In the codec open, I can modify p_dec->fmt_out.psz_description,
> and I would need a way to tell VLC to update its descriptions
> then (eg, call EsOutESVarUpdateGeneric). Is there a clean
> way to do this ?
 You can set decoder_t->p_description which is used by a codec
to export meta data.
The EsOutUpdateInfo might need to be modified to support changing
the description name of the track (probably by using
decoder_t->p_description->psz_name).
 The only problem is that the codec open function is called only
when the associated ES is selected.

--
fenrir