[vlc-devel] [VLC] #2468: VLC 0.9.8a crahes when opening a mpeg2-file with .mod-extension.

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Sun Feb 1 19:55:28 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009, Pasi Sjöholm wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:17 PM, VLC <trac at videolan.org> wrote:
> > #2468: VLC 0.9.8a crahes when opening a mpeg2-file with .mod-extension.
> > -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
> >  Reporter:  tigeli    |        Owner:  courmisch
> >      Type:  defect    |       Status:  closed
> > Difficulty:  unknown   |          Wip:  Not started
> > -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
> > Changes (by courmisch):
> >
> >  * status:  reopened => closed
> >  * resolution:  => invalid
> >
> > Comment:
> >
> >  It would make no sense to parse the file twice. This is a libmodplug bug
> >  until proven otherwise. FULL POINT.
>
> Blah, even mplayer is doing better job and not trying interpret files
> by extensions but the data inside.
> It's does not matter is it a libmodplug bug or not, VLC should not
> crash to 3rd party bug when it could just feed the file to correct
> demuxer instead of doing "the file extensions are cool". Whatever..
 VLC tries first to detect content ignoring extension, and fall back
to extension when it cannot.
 One of the problem, is that PS is hard to detect in a reliable way, and
that mod demuxer only check extensions...

 Now, mod demuxer has a priority of 10, the automatic PS dectection has a
priority of 8.
 Does anyone know if the priority of mod can be decreased below (<) 8 ?
(I would avoid increasing PS because of lot of demuxers use 10).

--
fenrir