[vlc-devel] [VLC] #2468: VLC 0.9.8a crahes when opening a mpeg2-file with .mod-extension.

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Feb 2 08:47:47 CET 2009

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 19:55:28 +0100, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:
>> Blah, even mplayer is doing better job and not trying interpret files
>> by extensions but the data inside.
>> It's does not matter is it a libmodplug bug or not, VLC should not
>> crash to 3rd party bug when it could just feed the file to correct
>> demuxer instead of doing "the file extensions are cool". Whatever..
>  VLC tries first to detect content ignoring extension, and fall back
> to extension when it cannot.
>  One of the problem, is that PS is hard to detect in a reliable way, and
> that mod demuxer only check extensions...
>
>  Now, mod demuxer has a priority of 10, the automatic PS dectection has a
> priority of 8.
>  Does anyone know if the priority of mod can be decreased below (<) 8 ?
> (I would avoid increasing PS because of lot of demuxers use 10).

This crash occurs whereby an MPEG-PS file exhibits a .mod extension.
Changing priorities will not fix the problem. As far as I understand, we
would have to remove the .mod extension from the list of known extensions
to "fix" this. libmodplug is too stupid to handle malformatted files. There
is really not much we can do about that. People who care can simply not
build the modplug plugin, or fix upstream.

Aside, I suspect decreasing priority below that of PS, will cause the
"promiscuous" PS demux to claim genuine tracker imputs.