[vlc-devel] commit: Segregate vout window types ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:59:10 CET 2009

Hello there,

this commit (and some following) breaks the video output at all on Mac
OS X, as kind of visible even in the former mail by reading closely. [1]

I'm wondering whether this commit is really necessary. I don't have
the time and more importantly not the knowledge to fix this for Mac OS
X. So, it is up to fellow OS X developers (which seem to lack time
too) and other people with vout knowledge. Or we just revert and post-
pone this API change with no user impact to VLC 1.1.

Additionally, I would like to underline that committing this kind of
stuff one day ahead of a Feature Freeze and especially not documenting
the _obvious_ breakage of an entire port which got the 2nd largest
user base of VLC (okay, you surely don't care about the latter) is no
good move. I had to spend a couple of hours of my spare time to find
this commit as "Segregate vout window types" without any explanation
is not exactly obvious. A person who blames people on this list about
missing documentation and bad behaviour should know better!

(still) Best regards,

Felix

[1] vout_RequestWindow is only handled for XWindow and HWND, etc.