[vlc-devel] commit: Segregate vout window types ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Feb 12 15:17:14 CET 2009

Le jeudi 12 février 2009 15:17:36 Olivier Aubert, vous avez écrit :
> However, I also agree with Felix that the solution you propose (which
> seems appropriate to me, although I did not take the time to measure the
> implications of the dedicated drawable backend plugin) was rather
> quickly implemented. It is at the same time a very Good Thing, since
> ideas are best when implemented, and a hassle for developers *using*
> VLC, since there was no intermediary steps taken (mark the current API
> as deprecated, etc) to ensure a smoother transition.

The old API is *still* there, although it will necessarily fail on non-X11
64-bits platform. We promised that we would not break libvlc from 0.9 to 1.0.
Oh well, nevermind that we inherit crap such as this or the logging API.

This commit does one thing. It splits the vout_window capability into two
distinct ones (XID and HWND). I designed the vout_window capability in the
first place, without OSX support. That was before the 0.9.0 and nobody
complained until today.

I (and others) have spent hours fixing issues with embedding the video output.
We agreed this was a _*CRITICAL*_ feature at the last meeting. I'd like to
remind everybody that this -critical- feature does NOT work at all (at least
on Linux, probably on Windows) in 0.9.*. We have received a huge ammount of
complaints about the lack of embedded video in VLC 0.9, as well as the
bindings crashing when using that (esp. JVLC).

And _now_ that we fix it, the OSX maintainer comes and start whining. Sorry,
that's just pissing me off. Let the OSX port can go to hell then.