[vlc-devel] commit: Segregate vout window types ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Thu Feb 12 14:17:36 CET 2009

> It was discussed on this very mailing list several days ahead, even with
> Olivier supporting the change
Indeed. I agreed on the inadequacy of the current API, which did not
take into account 64bit platforms, neither the fact that there could
potentially be different types of drawables, esp. on Mac OS X. A better
solution is definitely needed.

However, I also agree with Felix that the solution you propose (which
seems appropriate to me, although I did not take the time to measure the
implications of the dedicated drawable backend plugin) was rather
quickly implemented. It is at the same time a very Good Thing, since
ideas are best when implemented, and a hassle for developers *using*
VLC, since there was no intermediary steps taken (mark the current API
as deprecated, etc) to ensure a smoother transition.

Well, all in all, I think the move is for the better, but it will take
some time to stabilize, and will lead to some bad user experience. Not
that I care that much, since my app also supports gstreamer, so I am not
entirely dependant of the fast-evolving VLC.

Olivier