[vlc-devel] [patch] Alter symbol-globalising dlopen(RTLD_NOLOAD) call to succeed

jpd at m2x.nl jpd at m2x.nl
Fri Feb 13 13:07:56 CET 2009

On Fri, February 13, 2009 12:24 pm, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> AGAIN, the symbols can come from something ELSE than libvlccore.so. That's
> the whole point. If we _are_ a libvlccore(.a) linked into another object,
> we don't want to go and override ourselves with whatever _other_ image of
> libvlccore(.so) happens to be in our process space.
>
> What we want to expose it ourselves (whatever that means), not
> /usr/lib/libvlccore.so.

I do not think that dlsym is the correct way to infer that case. In
fact and despite my limited knowledge of ld.so, I am reasonably sure
it is an incorrect way. It seems to me to be something for ld.so to
do using weak symbols, and if not perhaps using the preprocessor.

But even so, all I'm looking for is to solve a problem which appears to
be solved by removing the dlsym call, and if you object to removing it,
please explain how RTLD_GLOBAL can be set on the libvlccore{.a,.so}
symbols needed by later modules, because without that flag the mozilla
plugin certainly does not work.

> And M2X cannot have it both ways. You guys are pushing for revision.c, and
> for linking the plugins against libvlccore. You need to choose, because we
> really cannot have both of these at the same time from the point of view of
> development.

Personally, I do not share your need to construe asking a question about
the latter on irc as pushing for the thing. The former you will have to
take up with Saman and the other companies that would like it, I'm sure
they will be looking forward to your thoughtful arguments.