[vlc-devel] [patch] Alter symbol-globalising dlopen(RTLD_NOLOAD) call to succeed

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Fri Feb 13 12:24:50 CET 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:16:18 +0100 (CET), jpd at m2x.nl wrote:
> I explicitly asked you to elaborate. The copy-pasted reply apparently
> didn't do the job, so I invite you again to explain why you think that
> the dlsym call is needed to do what RTLD_NOLOAD is supposed to do
already.

> Please, do explain. AFAIK I need the dlsym call gone to make the plugin
> work, but alternative solutions are welcome too, of course.

AGAIN, the symbols can come from something ELSE than libvlccore.so. That's
the whole point. If we _are_ a libvlccore(.a) linked into another object,
we don't want to go and override ourselves with whatever _other_ image of
libvlccore(.so) happens to be in our process space.

What we want to expose it ourselves (whatever that means), not
/usr/lib/libvlccore.so.

And M2X cannot have it both ways. You guys are pushing for revision.c, and
for linking the plugins against libvlccore. You need to choose, because we
really cannot have both of these at the same time from the point of view of
development.