[vlc-devel] Removal of the QuickTime input plugin

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 17:34:52 CET 2009

Hello guys,

the QuickTime Input plugin is horribly broken for quite some time now
and it is probably better (and easier and faster) to rewrite it than
fixing it. It still uses the SoundManager and QuickDraw APIs to decode
stuff with QuickTime. Video decoding started to fail on 10.4 (almost 3
years ago!) and Audio decoding will finally be broken once we release
VLC 1.0 (since it isn't compatible with the 10.5 SDK).

Therefore, I suggest to remove this plugin completely and replace it
with a proper re-implementation based upon QTKit (Mac OS X only). The
only part of the plugin which may be still working is the included
Win32 port, which doesn't appear too tested and I'm wondering whether
it is still used at all...

What do you guys think?

Best regards,

Felix