[vlc-devel] [cube at cubidou.net: [Videolan-devel] access/file shortcut to open file descriptors]

Quentin Garnier cube at cubidou.net
Thu Feb 19 15:08:13 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:13:45PM +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> 	Hello,
>
> "filedesc://" evokes file descriptION. In my opinion, the usual accronym
> for file descriptOR is just "fd://".

You commit the code (or not), you get to choose.

> Also, it seems the dup() call is missing. Or why should this behave
> differently from the stdin case?

Honestly, I don't remember.  But then, why do you feel the need to do
dup(0)?

> There are a few subtle differences between this patch and
> "/dev/fd"/"/proc/self/fd", e.g.:
> - it reads the file from current descriptor offset instead of from the
> beginning,
> - it changes the file descriptor offset,
> - it inherits file locks,
> - on Linux, /proc/self/fd cannot open sockets and anonymous pipes,
> - on OSX, /dev/fd cannot open directories.

  - it's possible to use it on Windows

Not that it is really relevant to me anymore, because I had to split
libvlc usage in a forked process otherwise it'd deadlock very easily on
Windows (IIRC), which means I could use stdin.  Not that the resulting
application is completely bug free either, but that project is very low
priority.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube at cubidou.net - cube at NetBSD.org