[vlc-devel] msft windows error reporting

Anton Kapela tkapela at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 19:49:45 CET 2009

Team,

According to this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/isv/bb190483.aspx

..the process for getting WER data from their collector would include
the following steps:

Register for Windows Error Reporting Services

Step 1 - Register Your Company on https://winqual.microsoft.com/SignUp/
Please note: a digital certificate is required. For your protection,
and the protection of our end-users, Microsoft requires all ISVs to be
identified by a digital certificate. We want to ensure that access to
data related to your applications is secure. And, of course, we all
want to protect the privacy of our end-users' data. As of 3/1/2006,
the cost from VeriSign for the digital certificate is four hundred
dollars ($400). Microsoft does not charge ISVs for use of the WER
software services.

[snip]

I recall reading the notes from the VLC dev-days and noticed someone
saying that this service had a 'fee' associated. This begs the
question, was the fee for anything other that the required cert?

If it's just a cert that's needed, I'd be 110% in favor of donating
the cert cost myself, if this would mean a steady stream of 'good
data' for which program troubles could be better found and tracked
(and perhaps, improve reporting accuracy).

Is anyone interested in accepting the cert if I were to give it
away/donate it to VLC? It's cheap enough to just be a personal gift,
no need for any corp/biz involvement.

Best,

-Tk