[vlc-devel] Why JVLC fails for majority of videos...

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 06:35:15 CET 2009

Hi JVLC team,

I finally solved the mystery of why the newer JNA implementation/examples fails for a large portion of the videos using the same libraries (dlls) but the same libraries work for VLC.

Seems the vlc code is looking at the url and is using a different one other than what you input into the mediadescriptor object. I found in most cases that if you look under the tools->media information and look closely at the location text box it will have the correct interpretation of the url. If I gave vlc the url for an asx file for example the location text box would contain the mms:asdf url which when I use that for the mediadescritor object for your jvlc example the streaming cam would work just fine.

I suspect that the deprecated playlist object does get the meta data for the url and use that metadata for playing whereas the mediadescriptor or mediaplay or mediaplayer related objects do not do that.

So someone on the jvlc team needs to talk to the vlc team about what they did to populate that location text box field and add that capability to the java bindings api and correct the examples to use that functionality somehow. Do that and others can use the jvlc bindings.

Best Regards,
Tony Anecito


More information about the vlc-devel mailing list