[vlc-devel] Compile vlc with gcc 4.2.1 sjlj (mingw32-2)

Son Tran son.minh.tran at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 11:33:50 CET 2009

Dear all,
I already compiled vlc (and my own plugin module) with cygwin thanks to your
documentation on the Videolan website. The resulting vlc is based on gcc
3.4.4 (cygming special). It may be the reason that when I simply put the
plugin into the directory "plugins" of the vlc released on the website of
videolan (the latter is based on gcc 4.2.1 sjlj (mingw32-2) ) , it cannot be
loaded as in the case of the VLC compiled by myself.
-My question is how I can compile VLC having the same underlying gcc as the
one in your released VLC (for windows platform).
1-I tried with your tutor on compiling VLC with Msys+Mingw. I am sure that
the tutor is quite out of date. For instance, among these others, you wrote
that one should install MingW.5.0.3.exe. It exists  now MingW 5.1.4. Does it
change something if I use this version (The procedure with the previous one
does not work for me :-) ).  Anyway, also in your website, you said that
compiling with msys+mingw is not recommended?
2-I did try to update the gcc of cygwin to 4.2.1. Then I try to compile gcc
4.2.1 for target i686-pc-mingw32. But it doesnot pass.
 3-I try to update the gcc of cygwin to 4.2.1. Then I try to compile mingw
using the auto compile script for the website of mingw. But it doesnot pass
either.
4-I try to update the gcc of cygwin to 4.2.1. Then I try to copy the
precompiled mingw for gcc 4.2.1 sjlj from the website of mingw to the system
directory of cygwin . But the compiling VLC gets stuck even at the phase
configure.
5-I try the same procedure mentioned in 2 and 3 above but for the platform
linux, the compilation does not pass.

Of course I should give you more details on the errors  I got for each
compilation case mentioned above. But with this first mail, I would like to
know among a lot of possiblities I tried above which direction I should
concentrate in. And in that direction which link I could use as a
good depart point for compiling vlc.
Thank you for your help
have a nice weekend, and do not forget to answer me :-)
Sincerely
Son TRAN