[vlc-devel] Implementing streaming motion JPEG2000 demuxing - Where to start?

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Jan 22 17:08:11 CET 2009

Le mercredi 21 janvier 2009 23:47:00 Ed Sutton, vous avez écrit :
> What is the first module I need to implement to support demuxing of the UDP
> video codestream and where does it fit in the VLC architecture?
>
> The data format is not an existing container.  It is streaming video only
> (no audio) in a J2C or JP2 format as outlined in:
>
> ftp://ftp.analog.com/pub/Digital_Imaging/ADV202_212_ApplicationNotes/ADV202
>_212_Output_Format/TechNote_ADV202_output_format_1.pdf
>

> Do I need to implement a new "container" first?

Sort of.

> Or is a "container" only apply to files?

Yes, "demux" plugins only apply to byte streams.
VLC has "access_demux" plugins in cases byte stream are inadequate or
inconvenient an abstraction. Then it is not possible to adequately
implement "access" and "demux" as separate and independent layers, and one
single plugin takes care of both.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary