[vlc-devel] Keeping git tree up-to-date

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sat Jan 24 21:39:34 CET 2009

Le samedi 24 janvier 2009 22:10:21 Mark Bidewell, vous avez écrit :
> The net result was a scrambled source tree that would not build.  What
> is the proper way to do this?

If you're only "reading" the tree (i.e. not writing any patch), then:
# git fetch
# git reset --hard origin/master
will always work, but you will loose any modifications, even patches, that are
not merged in the origin tree.

But you should rather wonder why you tree gets garbled. If you've made
modifications that conflicts with the official tree, it's quite normal for
git to complain - it would be quite nasty if it just removed your changes.

Otherwise, it could be some problems with translation files. You can either
disable Native Language Support (configure --disable-nls), or reset just
these files:
# git checkout po/*.pot po/*.po
# touch po/*.pot po/*.po

I almost never use git-stash. I prefer committing even incomplete changes. It
helps me check what I'm committing, and is less error-prone that stashing

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary