[vlc-devel] To add a new feature to vlc player.

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Jan 29 14:50:46 CET 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:00:23 -0500, asher basheer <asher.b.07 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> My aim is to add a highly efficient search box to the player.For that i
> would like to know w*hich tool can be used (Glade tool)*for developing
the
> graphical user interface.

Depends which UI. The Qt4 UI is developped with Qt designer.
The OSX UI, the dedicated offiical too whose name I don't know.
The HTTP interface is hand-written pseudo-HTML.
(The former WxWidgets interface was laid out directly within C++ code.)

> What i am intending to do is, when the name of a supported file  is
> entered onto the search tab it should quickly search it and should
> automaticaly play it.
> If this becomes successful,in future i wolud like to make a speech
> recognition tool to vlc which would play the file as the user speaks it
> through his microphone.I had gone through vlc documentation in
> videolan.organd i am trying to understand vlc's architecture.
>
> Hope you would guide me with valuable inputs.

If you mean, search the file from hard drive, or from Google, then it's
really a "side" interface issue. You only need to use basic playlist
controls, and extend an existing user interface plugin.