[vlc-devel] RTSP client 'trick play' support. When will it ever work??

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Thu Jul 9 21:06:42 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> First, Glen, *please* trim your responses!
>
>> So perhaps the answer is to patch live555 so that it only parses the
>> Range: header if it's subession's playEndTime is 0 ?
>
> No, because the server might have decided - for whatever reason - to
> stream only a subset of the range that the client requested.  The client
> needs to respect the range that the server specified in its "PLAY"
> response, even if the client already thinks it knows the range.
>
> But, as I noted earlier, the problem is occurring earlier, before VLC
> sends "PLAY", when it is apparently not paying attention to the range
> end that was specified in the SDP description.

 Actually, VLC never specify the range 'end' for PLAY requests. We can if it's
needed (I will check if it fixes youtube rtsp).

 But, I am not sure it will fix the issue for every servers anyway. For example,
it seems valid to me for a server to answer Range: 'begin'- when
requested Range: 'begin'-'end' with 'end' equal to the media length.

--
fenrir