[vlc-devel] commit: gestures: change volume on playlist rather than interface ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Thu Jul 9 22:13:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le jeudi 9 juillet 2009 21:25:24 git version control, vous avez écrit :
> > vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> | Thu Jul  9
> > 21:24:14 2009 +0300| [3086d1afd24d968e65251037c8d3eb56309f159b] |
> > committer: Rémi Denis-Courmont
> >
> > gestures: change volume on playlist rather than interface
>
> The aout_* interface APIs are currently assume there is only one audio output,
> meaning only one input (I believe they predate VLM).
 Nope, the aout is reusable by multiple inputs at the same time (not sure it is
actually used but it is the spirit of the aout object).
 The aout is more attached to an output device than to an input.

> I also guess that input_resource_t cannot handle this (at least currently), it
> is preserved when the item changes, but not when the playlist stops, right?
 No, aout is preserved through stop. In fact, in VLC lifetime, once a aout
is created (by an input from the playlist), it is never destroyed (except when
quiting).

> guess ideally, we would have some kind of commun "input context" that survives
> inputs and would be common to playlist, VLM, and libvlc_media_list_player.
>
> In the mean time, I am tempted to put run aout_* on top of the parent object
> of the input - which is the playlist when it comes to interface plugins. Next
 In fact, actually the aout is already kept by the playlist (but it is not
shared with VLM and libvlc),
 It is done in playlist/thread.c by using input_DetachResource before destroying
an input and then giving the resource to the next input_Create.
 When a stop is executed, input_resource_TerminateVout is called on it to
force the vout to be closed, but aout (and same for sout) is kept.

--
fenrir