[vlc-devel] WARNING: VLC is being sold without permission!!

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Tue Jul 14 12:20:59 CEST 2009

2009/7/14 Antonio Javier Varela <tonxabar at gmail.com>:
> WE MUST STOP THIS: http://www.videolan.com.es/
>
> They permit to download an OLD version of VLC from their webpage, but to
> install it, you need to pay 2 SMS to obtain a code.
>
> This is not fair, they're earning filthy money with our software and our
> efforts.

It's not illegal to sell GPL'd software as long as you follow the GPL
i.e. mainly providing the sources if you're asked.

IMHO and with no offense intended, the problem is the users who jump
on the sponsored links even if the official VideoLAN website is the
first of the non-sponsored links in google.
I'm not sure how we can educate the users about that

--
Xtophe