[vlc-devel] VLC RTSP Server Support for Keep-Alive Messages to Kill Orphaned Streams?

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Wed Jul 15 19:27:43 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:59:17PM -0400, Robert Krakora wrote:
> I would be glad to work on this.  I have a lot of experience with a
> variety of RTSP server and RTSP client stacks.  Usually, clients seem
> to send benign RTSP requests such as GET_PARAMETER to keep the session
> open.

It seems to me that RFC2326 10.8 explicitly says GET_PARAMETER without
option may be used ``to test client or server liveness'', or when
already playing, 10.5 says PLAY without range may be used by the client.

Presumably failing enough liveness tests would permit one to consider
the session dead and release the associated resources.