[vlc-devel] VLC RTSP Server Support for Keep-Alive Messages to Kill Orphaned Streams?

Robert Krakora rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com
Wed Jul 15 18:59:17 CEST 2009

2009/7/15 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:35:34 -0400, Robert Krakora
> <rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com> wrote:
>> First of all, thanks for a great application.  I have been using VLC
>> since 2002 and I love it.  I just downloaded and build VLC 1.0.0 with
>> the options that I normally enable.  However, I have noticed that the
>> VLC RTSP server code still does not implement a keep-alive mechanism
>> to kill orphaned streams.  Is this planned to be implemented sometime
>> in the future?  Are you looking for someone to implement it?
>
> Currently, the VLC RTSP server has no support for receiving RTCP-RR
> packets, which is one possible way for an RTSP client to signal its
> liveliness. Until this is implemented, timing out clients based solely on
> RTSP activity risks breaking interoperability with well-behaving RTSP
> clients.
>
> It should be a few days worth of work for RTSP broadcast mode. For VOD, I
> would not be so optimistic...
>
> --
> Rémi Denis-Courmont

Remi:

I would be glad to work on this.  I have a lot of experience with a
variety of RTSP server and RTSP client stacks.  Usually, clients seem
to send benign RTSP requests such as GET_PARAMETER to keep the session
open.  Barring software modification is there any other viable
solution that enables one to terminate an orphaned RTSP session?

Best Regards,

--
Rob Krakora
Senior Software Engineer