[vlc-devel] WARNING: VLC is being sold without permission!!

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Thu Jul 16 12:31:56 CEST 2009

2009/7/16  <jpd at videolan.org>:
> (Ab)use of trademarks, impersonation, misrepresentation, and so on all
> touch on the victim's good name and can to varying degrees be litigated.

But we don't own the VideoLAN trademark. Not to speak of the problem
in front of the judge is you don't enforce your trademark consistently
as hinted by Remi about Firefox

> If alice offers something under GPL for free download and ernie
> offers the exact same thing for the price of an expensive SMS, then
> the latter's ``reasonable costs'' for distribution seem much less
> reasonable.

``reasonable costs''  applies for the source code of the software that
you have distributed to the users. Distributing included selling. You
can sell VLC for 10 k$ but you shall send the buyer the sources for
~5$ or less if he ask them.

> In fact, what seems to happen here is that ernie is freeloading on
> alice's bandwidth by through the link it hands out and is charging for
> the link. I don't know what that is exactly, but it smells.
The ones requiring some payment (e.g. videolan.com.es) distribute
themselves their own installer. so don't use our/our mirrors bandwidth
The one who just point to download.v.o/one of our mirror are not doing
anaything else that any news website including a download link. they
are just sometime nasty and fon't use the proper mirror-geo.php
balancing page.

--
Xtophe