[vlc-devel] Future of the update mechanism

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 20:38:32 CEST 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:25:58 +0200
Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:

> But the biggest issue is about the complexity of testing (no funman,
> changing a gpg-key, a host, is NOT SIMPLE) which made NOONE to test
> the updates on 1.0.0, neither on Windows, nor on the Mac.

What do you call "simple" ?

> I am sorry to tell you that 'I told you so' (© courmisch) and that I
> don't find this funny at all.

I don't remember you have "told us so"

By the way I just updated from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 on windows (wine) and it
works just fine.

> Suggestions:
> - Put the update mechanism in a module.

Not going to make the code simpler, but a nice idea

> - Do the VirtualBox way, ie, a popup with a link redirecting to the
>   website. VLC update mechanism is not able to quit VLC and execute
> the download, especially because of UAC on Windows.
>   So, when the interface asks for it, launch this update module, that
>   gets a message on the update website, check security, check version
>   and launch a dialog_*.

Good idea, going to make the code a bit simpler for you, interface
coders (not creating a download thread)

> - Else, make it the same way as now, but
>   - Clean it up

Clean what exactly?

>   - make it more error-prone, and not crash VLC
>   - find a way to go over UAC and to quit VLC to start the installer.

That sounds like a job for a windows developer

>   - make it more generalist so it can be used for skins downloading or
>     other extensions

Doable

>   - make it simple.

What is "simple" ?

Simple to read, to use (API), or something else?

> I will object anything that is not simple, since it just show that we
> are not able to maintain a complex mechanism...

Perhaps i can help

> Best Regards (or not)
>
>   good night

good night?