[vlc-devel] Future of the update mechanism

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Thu Jul 30 07:09:01 CEST 2009

>> Suggestions:
>> - Put the update mechanism in a module.
>
> Not going to make the code simpler, but a nice idea

Updating has to be complicated at some level. And Funman can't be blamed for it.

This deserves a separate library not a module in my opinion. This
seems like something we don't want to develop as part of VLC. We just
want to use it. This is very host/interface specific as well.

Sparkle is the library we want to use on Mac OS X/cocoa interface. The
interface module would directly link to it.

I believe there must be some nice one for Windows as well. If there is
no library that we actually like enough, we could create one, from our
code. If the project is lucky, VLC won't be the only client and it
would get some more testing

Pierre.