[vlc-devel] Future of the update mechanism

Rippit the Ogg Frog rippit at oggfrog.com
Thu Jul 30 09:30:45 CEST 2009

Hi,

I usually lurk quietly in the background on this list, never uttering a
word lest I reveal my hiding place, but I just *had* to speak up about this.

Automatic updates drive me absolutely bananas, and piss me off no end
until I manage to figure out how to completely disable them.

Thunderbird and Firefox both update automatically by default, but don't
say that they are doing so until it's too late to prevent it.  They only
tell you that the update has *already* been installed and will run on
their next launch, and not that they are about to download or install
the update.

There are several problems with automatic updates:

Some people still have very limited, unreliable Internet connections.
Consider someone using dialup from a remote rural location, with noisy
telephone lines.  Their modem will have to run at a lower speed to
ensure the reliability of the data it transfers.

If VLC decides to download an update for such a user, they will
experience very poor network throughput during the download, without
understanding what is going wrong.

In my particular case - and I do acknowledge that my situation is an
uncommon one - I take care to download and permanently archive the
installers for every single downloadable software package that I *ever*
use.  I even download and permanently archive the installers for
versions that I don't expect to *ever* use.

I still have some installers from the early 90's, that ran on the
Macintosh System 7, for example.

The reason I go to all this trouble is that as a software developer, I
have experienced all manner of bugs and incompatibilities in many of the
programs I've used over my two-decade career.

Archiving all of the installer versions not only allows me to fall back
to a previous release if I need to do so to avoid a bug that appears in
a new version, but it also allows me to help out the community by
testing for the bugs in each version, so as to determine when such bugs
first appeared.

But an automatic download *won't* be downloaded to my archive!  When I'm
notified that an automatic update has just taken place, once I pull my
fist back out of my computer screen, I have to go and download the
update *again* - but manually this time - so as to be able to archive it.

Finally, a situation that is unfortunately very common is that an
automatic update gets distributed to end-users only to later discover
that it contains some fatal flaw.  When that happens, the user's
computer might be totally borked, and they don't have any obvious way to
fall back to the previous version.

This has happened at least once with Windows Update, and Apple had to
create and distribute a QuickTime "down-grader" because some new
QuickTime version broke something really important.

Because there was no way for the user to manually remove the new
QuickTime and re-install the old version, Apple had to go to all kinds
of trouble, expense and embarrassment to create a package that would put
the old version back in place.

I feel that it would be just great to notify the user that updates are
available; I suggest that you implement that by providing an RSS feed
from VideoLan.org, that contains only update notifications, with VLC
itself being the "RSS Reader".

Each RSS entry would contain the download link, so that if the user
*does* want to download the update, they could click a button - and have
the update downloaded with their preferred web browser, rather than
directly with VLC.

An added benefit of supplying the notifications as RSS is that one could
subscribe to them with any RSS reader, and not just VLC.

That's what I plan to do with my own application, Ogg Frog.

I'll send you my bill in the mail. ;-D

--
Rippit the Ogg Frog
rippit at oggfrog.com