[vlc-devel] Future of the update mechanism

Sébastien Escudier sebastien-devel at celeos.eu
Thu Jul 30 09:53:54 CEST 2009

Quoting Rippit the Ogg Frog <rippit at oggfrog.com>:

> I feel that it would be just great to notify the user that updates are
> available; I suggest that you implement that by providing an RSS feed
> from VideoLan.org, that contains only update notifications, with VLC
> itself being the "RSS Reader".

unfortunately, the majority of users, don't want to take care of updates
themselves.
Even with a one click automatic update, most of them will answer "no" because
they don't want to bother.

So I think the mozilla way is not that bad, because of critical security
updates.

But I agree the user should be able to deactivate it.

Maybe the best would be to have automatic bug-fixes update, and manual version
upgrades.