[vlc-devel] Future of the update mechanism

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 14:11:36 CEST 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:09:01 -0700
"Pierre d'Herbemont" <pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:

> >> Suggestions:
> >> - Put the update mechanism in a module.
> >
> > Not going to make the code simpler, but a nice idea
>
> Updating has to be complicated at some level. And Funman can't be
> blamed for it.
>
> This deserves a separate library not a module in my opinion. This
> seems like something we don't want to develop as part of VLC. We just
> want to use it. This is very host/interface specific as well.

I was thinking of a simple static library, as a header and .o

> Sparkle is the library we want to use on Mac OS X/cocoa interface. The
> interface module would directly link to it.
>
> I believe there must be some nice one for Windows as well. If there is
> no library that we actually like enough, we could create one, from our
> code. If the project is lucky, VLC won't be the only client and it
> would get some more testing

That could be made too if someone volunteers.

Yesterday I moved the pgp code out of update.c and I get:

$ wc -l update*
  811 update.c
 1012 update_crypto.c
  235 update.h

Which IMO makes the code simpler to read and maintain.

If you still want to use it, let me know and I'll move it out from src/
and look closer at current issues (problem with download threads, and
some bug with big-endian PowerPC)

--
Rafaël Carré