[vlc-devel] VLC's performance on SMP system

xxcv xxcv07 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 09:02:09 CEST 2009

Pavlov Konstantin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:29:07PM +1000, xxcv wrote:
>
>> Kaloyan Kovachev wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:37:45 +1000, xxcv wrote

>>> effect = video shakes.

>>> fine.

>>> Just to confirm that with the 64bit (slackware64) built of VLC-1.0.0-RC2 +
>>> ffmpeg-mt the results are the same - 'video shakes' and often there are
>>> artifacts in the picture (when the source is an HD stream with ~12Mbit/s -
>>> with a local file there are no artifacts)
>>>

>> I think VLC will never be able to use ffmpeg-mt
>>

> not true

I think there are currently at this state, incompatibility issues
between ffmpeg-mt and vlc-1.0.0-rc2 source code. Perhaps when the timing
is right when VLC start to use it and fix it up.
Probably there are fundamental timing issues when this is happening in
real time.
My results are: video doesn't shake when threads count = 2 matching CPU
core count = 2, then it will start to doing frame shuffle when threads = 8
Mplayer win32 experimental build threads = 8 video still doesn't shake
as it doesn't happen in real time.