[vlc-devel] Separation of UI and core?

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 5 11:38:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

Although there is libvlc, I am curious whether there has been any
attempt to separate the UI and the core functionality in the main VLC
player? The idea being is that the separation into 'UI layer' and
'functional layer' would allow focusing of work and ensure that
careful thought is given to where something should live. An example of
other projects that have taken this approach:

   - Pidgin, which provides libpurple. This 'core' is used by Pidgin,
Finch and Adium
   - Webkit, formerly KHTML, which is used by Safari, Chrome and
Konquerer, amongst others

I haven't managed to get VLC built yet, so I may find that I am
suggesting something that is already the case.

André-John