[vlc-devel] commit: Port panoramix to X RandR with XCB (incomplete) ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jun 10 22:29:27 CEST 2009

Le mercredi 10 juin 2009 22:45:17 Laurent Aimar, vous avez écrit :
>  Please respect the coding style of the file you edit (including var
> prefixes), it's a real mess otherwise, otherwise revert if you don't want
> to fix it.

The fact that spacing is normal rather correct is accidental. But it's bound
to occur every so often for as long as VLC retains its unusual and confusing
spacing convention, which probably means as long as I continue to write VLC
code.

As for Hungarian notation, I really think it's more harmful than good. If
someone wants to fix it, I don't care, but I won't waste my time on this.
'pf_' is used for both float pointers and function pointers which is worse
than having no prefixes. 'i' is used for all integers types, even though the
only likely unnoticed integer types errors are width and signedness
mismatches. 'f_' has the same problem to a lesser extent with float and
double. Also, I see an anti-pattern in using int indiscriminately just to
match 'i_'. 'p_' is used for almost all pointer types. Since the compiler will
whine loudly if you even mix pointers with integers or floats, it's really
only making lines longer -> that's probably the most annoying part. I know
only one other large user of Hungarian notation, the Win32 API uses it much
more sensibly than VLC. And while you got that I don't like Hungarian notation
at this point, I need to add that VLC is not even following its true concept.
For the reference, see
http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2003/09/12/52989.aspx

Keeping existing structures internally consistent, sure. But cosmeticizing new
functions... I think there are more pressing/thrilling tasks.

Anyway, I really feel like the VLC conventions were set just for the *******
sake of being different from everything else. Hence annoying as possible,
really.

And there I lost another thirty minutes into writing a pointless email.

http://www.remlab.net/