[vlc-devel] commit: Port panoramix to X RandR with XCB (incomplete) ( R?mi Denis-Courmont )

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Thu Jun 11 01:25:54 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:29:27PM +0300, R?mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> I know only one other large user of Hungarian notation, the Win32 API
> uses it much more sensibly than VLC.

And that vendor is moving away from it, too. One of the few sensible
things they've done, IMO.

> Keeping existing structures internally consistent, sure.
> But cosmeticizing new functions... I think there are more
> pressing/thrilling tasks.

I don't disagree that the standing convention could be more sensible,
in fact I share your dislike for the whole thing, but we do complain to
everyone who gratuitously picks a different convention, and rightly so.
Bad convention or not, as long as it is consistent it beats mixing as
many styles as possible.

> Anyway, I really feel like the VLC conventions were set just for the
> ******* sake of being different from everything else. Hence annoying
> as possible, really.

Or because a group of inexperienced programmers got together and thought
``conventions are good, let's pick the one we hear is bestest!!1!''. Be
that as it may, it doesn't change that mixing styles should be avoided.