[vlc-devel] commit: libvlc: Abort in case of unhandled exception. (Pierre d'Herbemont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Sun Jun 28 02:10:07 CEST 2009

2009/6/27 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>

> Le samedi 27 juin 2009 13:39:59 jpd at videolan.org, vous avez écrit :
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:21:58AM -0700, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
> > > Very pragmatic, no design in mind, no religion on exception. Just
> > > fixing bugs.
> >
> > Sounds to me it might be cleaner to achieve the same or better code by
> > dropping exceptions entirely. I'd like to hear arguments pro or con
> > by people who haven't spoken out on this yet. Opinions?
>
> I agree, and from an earlier IRC discussion, I understand Pierre does too.

I do agree, mostly because the overhead introduced when writing C code is
too heavy, and I don't see anything really important we could miss by
getting rid of libvlc_exception_t.

The cons is backward compatibility obviously. This could be mitigated by
using some #define wrapper tricks so that exception gets ignored.

Pierre.

Pierre.