[vlc-devel] Bug in HTTP access module

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Mar 6 11:27:33 CET 2009

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:53:38 +0100, Cyril MATHE
<cmathe at actech-innovation.com> wrote:
> 	We found a bug in the HTTP access module when VLC is asking for a video
> to an Apache server. Some Apache Server give all video data but some
> others give just one part of this video (actually those servers are
> embedded Apache server). When all data are read by VLC, those servers
> expects that VLC asks for the next part of this video, but VLC doesn't
> do that. So after this first video part VLC just stop to have data from
> the Apache server and then stop to read the video. If you have found
> some other bugs, or if you have some ideas, just tell me because i'm
> working to fix it.

I don't understand what you're talking about.

VLC is always asking for the entire file (or for the entire file starting
from a certain offset).

The HTTP protocol specifications requires the server to return the whole
file in this case. Not doing this will fail the HTTP standard, and break
pretty much all HTTP clients.