[vlc-devel] VLC 1.0.0-pre1 issues

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Mar 29 15:37:52 CEST 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 02:36:59PM +0200, Laurent Aimar wrote :
> > - DVD menus are weirdly working and some people say that 0.8.6 can break
> >   region-locking while 0.9 cannot?
>  Do you example where dvd menu in 1.0 is worse than in 0.8 ?
> (Yes it is not perfect but I do not think they are anymore regressions).
I'll try to find (I don't have many DVDs home)

> >   And there is always issues with DVD menus and video filters.
>  Not easy to fix without some heavy work on video filter API, so probably
> not fixed for 1.0
Ok.

> > - Recording doesn't work on Windows, wrong location? (1.0)
>  It is working for me (it goes to "My Documents"), do you have any log ?
Works on latest build for me too.

> > - SVQ3 HD in mov stutters (regression, see #2547) (1.0)
>  At first look, swscale is used (the chroma is I411) and seems insanely slow.
> It is probably the cause of the regression.
In 0.9, how did we do?

> > and in seeking (2588)
>  Not reproduced with .mp3 and .avi or it is very very low.
Watching some House MD .avi, VLC goes and stays around 80MB of Ram
(Windows Seven), seeking around 15 times from start to end makes it grow
around 3.7MB and stay around this.
Seeking a lot on the Matrix MKV (the XviD+AAC one, not the RV9) makes it
grow around 400kB.
Maybe xxcv can comment.

Btw, unrelated, but when I stop I keep staying at 28MB of RAM (instead
of 11MB at start)

> > - H264 decoding has some issues since a long time (#2610 add to the list)
> >   (0.9 and 1.0)
> #2610 is a ffmpeg problem, so it should be closed.
Will report to FFmpeg.

> > - Video Filters make FSC to show when in non-fullscreen mode and make VLC
>  With *vout-filter*, yes.
> >   crash on exit quite often. (1.0)
>  Are you sure ? With which filter ?
Deinterlacing, IIRC.

> > - MKV real video support is still lacking stuffs (cook, correct RV40, etc...)
>                                                                ^
> I think that this one is more a demuxer problem but it needs investigations.
Ok. I am uploading more boring MKV samples to jones, if some people are
not completly fed up by MKV...

> > - MKV hangs if there are many MKV in the same folder? (WTF?) (as always)
> I have disabled the option that controls it by default. Prepare for bug report of
> linked file not working anymore...
Well, are linked mkv still popular?

Best Regards,

--