[vlc-devel] GSoC Project: Media centre interface for VLC

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Wed May 13 12:57:49 CEST 2009

Hi all,

My name is Barry Wardell. I'm a PhD student at University College
Dublin, Ireland. I'm going to be spending the summer working on a
Google Summer of Code project with VLC. My mentor is Ilkka Ollakka
(ILEoo).

The goal of the project is to implement a media centre interface for
VLC, with the aim of having an interface usable on a TV. I plan to do
so using either Qt or OpenGL or some combination both. I also hope to
be able to make use of the new SQL based media library developed by
ECP students (and possibly also work done by Srikanth Raju for his
GSoC project). I am also considering whether the interface would be
better implemented as a module or using libVLC, so any comments on the
pros and cons of either option are welcome.

I have created a basic wiki page
(http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2009/Media_Center_Interface_for_VLC)
where I have posted some details about my project and its intended
goals. I've also started up a blog
(http://www.barrywardell.net/gsoc/gsoc-blog/) where I plan to post
regular updates once I get going on my project.

Regards,
Barry