[vlc-devel] New Document Icons for Mac OS X

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Wed May 13 19:57:14 CEST 2009

Am 13.05.2009 um 19:17 schrieb Dominic Spitaler:

> Hmm, i agree with you. So we have then 5
> generic icons without a file type on them,
> those are assigned to matching file types,
> how is this done, is this easy to do for me,
> or should someone else do it for me?
That's really easy to do. It's a matter of downloading Xcode and
adjusting VLC's project file accordingly. This requires absolutely no
programming skills.

There is a HOWTO on [1], which describes all necessary steps to
compile VLC on your Mac so you can test your changes.

> Also is there a list what are important filetypes?
None that I know of.
The most common container formats should be AVI, MPG, MP4/M4V/M4A,
MOV, FLV, DV, MXF, WAV, RAM/RM, OGG/OGM, WMV/WMA, MKV/Matroska, VOB
and ASF. For these, it definitely makes sense IMO to do specific
icons, as only a couple of these is understood by QuickTime in case
Perian isn't installed and therefore, they'll show their icons.
Additionally, the user may disable QuickLook and more importantly,
file extensions are hidden by default.
Having separate icons for each and every kind of MPEG doesn't make too
much sense for me; same for all the RAW data types (obviously except
for MP3).

Best regards,

Felix

[1] http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile