[vlc-devel] Cocoa/Objective-C interface for VLC?

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Sat May 16 16:39:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

Although I am not in a position to do any coding for VLC (various
excuses), I thought it could be interesting to at least to look into
ways to make the high level development easier on MacOS X. The general
idea would be to have a separation, something akin to Adium and
Libpurple, where Adium is the 'high level' UI and Libpurple provdes
the core implementation.

The way I see this happening is by have an Objective-C class for the
player and using a model-view-controller design. The class would be
the model providing all the necessary methods to interact with VLC
player. Then the rest of the user interface could be developed using
"Interface Builder" and having the action call backs calling the
'player' object. Maybe having VLC video widget could also be something
worth considering.

Part of the interest is trying to make the high level stuff easier to
develop is seeing the UI suggestion here:

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58990

If we can make it easier for people to develop the MacOS X specific
stuff, then it could help in finding the right resources for the MacOS
X side.

This is my 5c worth, and hopefully this should be a place to go from.

André-John