[vlc-devel] Cocoa/Objective-C interface for VLC?

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Mon May 18 15:33:51 CEST 2009

On 17-May-2009, at 12:51, Felix Paul Kühne wrote:

> Am 17.05.2009 um 16:45 schrieb Andre-John Mas:
>
>> Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of this.
> You're absolutely welcome.
>
>> I had made by comment based on not seeing any nibs for describing
>> the UI. Actually I saw one (MainMenu.nib),
>> but could not open it with 'Interface Builder'. I suppose I made an
>> assumption without doing much research.
> No problem at all. VLC's nib files are stored in /extras/package/
> MacOSX/Resources/English.lproj. Packaged versions of VLC do include
> stripped versions of the nibs in the English.lproj folder - the
> folders for different languages are only stubs to work-around some
> Cocoa limitations. As the nibs are being stripped before the
> packaging, you're unable to open those. We do so for 2 reasons:
> reduce disk space and prevent easy manipulation.

Thanks for the clarification, I will get the source. Its part of the
main VLC source code?

>> Has anyone put any documentation together on VLCKit?
> Not really, as you noticed on the forum. However, there are sample
> applications /projects/macosx/framework as well as helpful texts in
> the headers of the framework. Additionally, questions on the
> framework should probably be answered quickly on list. I'll have a
> look at the wiki page, but regrettably I won't be able to spend much
> time on it.

There is no rush, the idea of the page is more long term. For me if
someone feels in the mood for writing some documentation related to
VLCKit, at least there is somewhere to put it. Its also to at least
make people aware that its there.

Just for the record, the page is here: http://wiki.videolan.org/VLCKit

André-John