[vlc-devel] Problem using libvlc

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon May 25 12:15:26 CEST 2009

On Mon, 25 May 2009 02:08:40 -0700, "Pierre d'Herbemont"
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
> 2009/5/24 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
>> Le samedi 23 mai 2009 23:27:59 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit :
>> Except media_list_player deadlocks either at the end of the first item
> (in
>> trunk) or immediately (in 0.9 and 1.0), so the playlist is the only
> workable
>> option.
>
> Well, you are missing the whole point.
>
> First, You don't actually need a media_list_player to play what's in a
> media_list.
>
> Then, libvlc_playlist doesn't client to actually browse and enumerate
> the content of a SD.

I never said libvlc_playlist was "good". But something that does not work
at al like media_list_player cannot be better.

> So you are once more mixing Data and Control. libvlc_playlist is a
> sort of both. media_list is Data, media_list_player is Control. This
> concept is a bit more advanced, but it is the way to go if we want to
> scale.

No. libvlc_playlist is an ugly but usable legacy mess (model mixed with
control if you want), and media_list_player is just completely useless crap
(in practice).

>> Moreover, I don't understand why we need so many files and functions
>> for list handling, and why list and media are separate *yet*
>> interdependent things.
>
> No, they are not. The only dependancy I have added to media regarding
> media_list is the ability to add subitems. That was part of an RFC
> that didn't receive many comments.

That's the whole point. medias include a media_list and media_lists are
well lists of medias. So they're interdependent, so they might as well be
one and the same, and the "data model" would be a lot simpler.